Friday, 22 January 2016

Bay of Islands

Thursday 21st January

Slept like a log last night, I think at last I have got over the jet lag! We ate peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast, packed and set off to the east coast and the Bay of Islands. The Bay has 144 islands, and was first charted by Captain Cook. Our hotel is the Waterfront resort in Paihia, which does what it says on the label. Paihia is pronounced "pie here" which is very appropriate considering the kiwi affection for pies. They also love their "fush and chups ", and it shows!
We took the ferry over to Russell, the first setllement in New Zealand originally occupied by whalers, sealers, and assorted ne'er do wells in the early nineteenth century. Now it is very quaint and is like a New England seaside town.As I tap my iPad I am drinking Oh Brother Pale Ale, a craft beer from West Aukland. It is very delicious, with a mango flavour. It was almost as good a Naked Ladies, my usual favourite in Twickers.
Our day was relaxed, made more so by the Oh Brother at lunch time. Our accommodation is very modern self catering, and includes a dishwasher, washing machine, giant fridge and two tellys! We have put them all to good use, and the fridge has tinned G&T and Pinot Gris in it now chilling nicely.
I had a dip in the sea which is warm and brown due to the swell, so like swimming in gravy!

The beach at Russell

...and relax.
Hones bar in Russell






No comments:

Post a Comment